As workers prepare themselves to return to work, better communications are essential with significant neglect in mental health support.

Fenturi’s recent snap poll asked employees about support they are receiving in preparation for the return to work. Questions covered the clarity and regularity of communications, support on working from home, updates on health protocols, and help dealing with stress and anxiety. 

The clear majority (66%) of people are feeling anxious about the return to work, and the results help explain why. 

Employers are not communicating

An astonishing 60% said they are yet to receive any support from their employer on the issues they most care about. Of the remaining 40%, only 30% have received any health and safety updates, or had any advice about how working from home can form part of a more flexible return to work. Only 13% are having any dialogue about how to deal with stress and anxiety, the lowest scored area in the survey.

People are desperate for more information and advice

Unsurprisingly the top placed concern was job security with 59% of people saying they wanted greater transparency about business performance and the possible implications to their role. The same percent of people also want the flexibility to work from home as part of their coming back to work strategy. Close behind, about half of people polled asked for support with health and safety protocol updates, and an open dialogue about dealing with stress and anxiety. 

Of all the individual areas, mental health had the greatest disparity between what people need, and the support available. Only 13% of people feel their employer has opened a dialogue about dealing with stress and anxiety, but 45% said they need it to help with the transition.

Take action now. Start talking to your staff and share expert advice

Our report has established that there is an immediate need for better communication, with issues around anxiety and stress being neglected. Left unanswered, anxiety and stress only gets worse, resulting in increased absenteeism, presenteeism and a decline in productivity. Deloitte calculated before the pandemic that this was already costing the British economy £45bn per year. To get businesses back on track as lockdown eases, organisations need their staff at their most productive, so start taking action now. 

Talk to Fenturi today about creating a bespoke digital training course, to help engage and educate your employees about the issues raised in this report. It will be tailored to your exact specific objectives, and easily delivered to them wherever they are working from, via whatever digital platform you choose


any l&D questions?

we are here to help.