CAn adaptive techniques improve the mandatory learning experience ?
In our experience, low levels of engagement in mandatory compliance topics can be a result of the content being the same each time the learner returns to re-take the course. As a result learners can feel they are ticking a box rather than genuinely learning something. When a client approached us with a particular brief there was an opportunity to take a different approach.
The client’s brief was to refresh their Drugs and Alcohol Awareness course after some learner feedback had been analysed. The brief was to:
- Update the design and graphics – make it “modern” & “relevant”
- Reduce the duration of the course – but don’t leave out any content
- Ensure compliance is met – ie pass the assessment
Alongside the brief was anecdotal learner feedback including
- “The course is too long”
- “I do the same course each year, it’s boring”
- “I’m an experienced professional, can you trust me a bit more”
To answer the brief we recommended an adaptive solution based on the learners knowledge. The learner would take the assessment first and according to their result have a different experience
- Pass and you are taken to a page congratulating you on your knowledge and flagging any updates. The learner is also offered the opportunity to refresh their memory on the different sections and topcs
- Get a mixed result (pass some sections but fail others) then you’re sent to a revision page with a menu detailing which sections you are required to re-take (followed be a post assessment)
- Fail the course and you retake the course, followed be a post assessment
- Saved business £500K in time and cost savings
- Reduced compliance course duration from 45 to 15 mins
- Improved personal focus of compliance course with a pre-assessment
- Made compliance training accessible from tablets and smartphones
“The pre-assessment sounds like an obvious time and cost saver but Fenturi helped us communicate the benefit to the business stakeholders. It’s all about working with the right agency to understand the learner needs and deliver brilliant content design.”
At the bottom of the page, you can watch our compliance training webinar session. Alongside this, you can also read our compliance training case studies. Plus you can book in a meeting to discuss compliance with one of our learning specialists. For now, enjoy our...